Report from successful EGM

The Extraordinary General Meeting held on Saturday 13th July was calm, businesslike and orderly with a small but engaged and quorate group of members fully contributing to several positive outcomes.

The new committee were fully ratified under Section 4.8 of our constitution which states:

Committee members shall be entitled to co-opt Association members to fill any casual vacancy to the Committee provided such action does not mean the Committee exceeds the number agreed at the AGM and is subject to ratification at the next General meeting.

The committee now comprises: Sue Watson (Chair), Terry Land (Vice Chair), Kevin Hind (Treasurer), Debbie Donovan (Secretary), Jack Hart and Natalie Morgans.

A new constitution was ratified following changes from a previous administration some of which fell into conflict which each other. Likewise, a new code of conduct was agreed. That suggestions from the floor were proposed and agreed was tribute to the thoughtful tone of the event.

Two motions arose from the floor. Both were discussed fully and passed unanimously.

The first from Andy Ellis (seconded by Jim Kearns) made a very clear statement around the disregard the club have for independent supporters’ groups and outlined the reasons why this association will never join the Official Supporters Board.

The second, shorter motion came from member Eamon Quinn and was seconded by Mike Casagranda. The Association were congratulated on their work on the Socios app and urged to continue apace.

Under Any Other Business questions rained in from the assembled with several now being considered by the committee for further action.

WHUISA would like to thank everybody for their attendance. We felt it was a good turnout for an out of season meeting on a warm July Saturday.

If we may, we would like to finish with a quote from member Kim Perryman made on Twitter. She said: “Reassured by what I saw and heard at the @WHU_ISA  EGM. They can now move forward with a strong committee and clear purpose.” Thanks Kim!

Committee Meeting

12th July 2019
Stour Space, Hackney.

Present:

Sue Watson, Terry Land, Kevin Hind, Jack Hart, Debbie Donovan.

(SW, TL, JH, were all co-opted members until they were ratified by the EGM which followed the Cttee meeting.)

Apologies: Natalie Morgans.

1. Introduction - SW

Following on from the AGM, the aim for the coming year is to start again and make WHUISA an outward looking organisation which will work in a focused way and represent the membership. We will make connections with other organisations, such as, the FSF and IAG in order to do so.

There are two motions for the EGM, which have been submitted by members, both of which the committee support.

2. Financial Report - KH

 The end of the WHUISA accounting year is 30.4 and, on that date, the balance in the account was £1821.79. Since then, there has been: Income -   £389.27 from membership fees and donations. Badge sales have also increased since the new Cttee has been more active.

Expenditure -  £763.99 on printing and postage. A donation of £50 was also made to the Fox’s Trust and room hire for today’s EGM was £150. Therefore, the new balance, as of yesterday, is - £1447.07.

TL proposed that membership fees should be annual, as opposed to a one off, as not  only would it increase income, but also give a regular record of exactly how many members we have. It is in the new Constitution, so hopefully will be ratified by the EGM.

Two current signatories have asked to be removed as signatories, so two more are needed SW and JH volunteered. Agreed.

3. Social Media Report – TL

 Instagram. Has been closed down.

Facebook. The account is ineffective, and although it can be a good way to communicate, it currently does not work. We discussed if it could be used to just notify member of events and publicise WHUISA, but it was not felt that it would be effective. It also requires a lot of work to moderate it and it is not worth continuing, if it cannot be done properly. TL will present something to the next Cttee meeting and we will make a decision about it then. Agreed.

Twitter. We went from 147,000 monthly engagements at its peak in January, to 18,000 in May. However, last month alone, we had 173,000 hits. TL and JH will continue to work on further development. Twitter was felt to be the best way to communicate things about WHUISA. Agreed.

Emails. Mailchimp costs £35 per month for 1,000 – 5,000, with anything above that being £65 per month. Last month we paid £65, due to the increase volume resulting from GDPR, but next month it will return to £35.

We need to continue using Mailchimp, as we are paying for it. WHUISA will look into using Survey Monkey more too.

Proposed – SW, Seconded – JH. Agreed.

WHUISA has applied for a KUMB account to use. Agreed.

4. Feedback from FSA AGM.

60 club reps in the room, who were all against the monetisation of fan opinion and engagement. A motion on Socios, proposed by WHUISA and backed by MUST, was passed unanimously. The FSA CEO will meet with the Premier League to discuss the issues.

5. Programme for the coming Season.

The member’s survey is being finalised, based on issues from last season and feedback already gained for this. The issues the Cttee will propose for attention are, in ascending order:

7. £700 for mascot. We discussed a delay in raising this, as WHUISA had previously auctioned one off. However, we can say that it is an issue from the previous committee on which we have reflected and have changed our position.

6. Gold and Sullivan’s loans to the club. We question why, in principle they are loans and not investments. There are also issues with the level of interest raised. Even though Mike Ashley also makes loans to Newcastle, he does so at 0% interest.

5. The £10 charge for a place on the season ticket waiting list. Why the charge? How     long is the waiting list? Why is it not transparent?

4. Football Development. It is reported that the Academy is a shambles and that     those working there do not even have compatible IT equipment. Its record for producing new talent is lamentable and recruitment and retention of youngsters is poor. There are also issues with the role of the Director of Football.

3. Proper fan representation to the club, instead of the OSB, which is toothless and not independent.

 2. Socios. We object to that in principle.

 1. Karren Brady. She was brought in to sort out the migration which has not been effective. The management of the corporates is also very poor. Therefore we question her ability to bring full value to her post. In addition, her Twitter account and Sun newspaper column bring the club into disrepute. The possible purchase of a player failed as a result of an article she did for The Sun.

The committee will want to challenge her role based on her competency, value for money and lack of professionalism at the club. It will not be in any way based on her gender and we will distance ourselves from any of the more overtly sexist criticisms of her whilst making clear what the focus is.

6. Match Day Service

The committee will publicise feedback on any questions asked of the membership and do so by posting it on the website on the Monday following the Saturday game. Agreed.

7. Equalities. KH raised the issues surrounding a gay footballer who is about to come out. This is    something which WHUISA should support. We should also support Pride of Irons in line with our equality charter.

WHUISA will now more clearly support the WHU women’s team. JH reported the matchday service is going to extend the women’s home games.

There was discussion on WHUISA campaigning for the women’s team to play at the LS, in the context of the PL rule that no game can be played for 4 hours, either side of the men’s first team.

The committee will discuss with the women’s team how they want to be supported.

Meeting closed at 12.50pm

Debbie Donovan

WHUISA Secretary

WHUISA EGM

                                                         

12th of July 2019

Stour Space, Hackney

1. Welcome and apologies

Kevin Hind opened the meeting at 1.10pm, by welcoming everyone, as Acting Chair, as the EGM had yet to ratify the new Committee.

Apologies: Natalie Morgans, Cliff Sparrowhawk. Iain Crinson

2. Update.

Sue Watson gave an update of recent events. Since the AGM, and the subsequent resignation of the previous Chair and Vice Chair, the acting committee had been working hard on proposals to move forward with a focus on the members and attracting more members into an independent organisation that is outward looking.

3. Ratification of new committee

Kevin Hind explained that the only remaining committee members from the AGM were himself and Debbie Donovan.

The following members were proposed by George Mann and seconded by Diane Hind:

Sue Watson – Chair, Kevin Hind – Treasurer, Terry Land – Vice Chair, Jack Hart – Committee member and Match Day Service, Debbie Donovan – Secretary, Natalie Morgans – Comittee member

Agreed with one abstention  

It was also agreed to post their names and positions on the website

4. Constitution

The revised constitution was distributed and the changes, which were marked in green, were discussed. The changes were made to make it more streamlined, fully consistent and therefore     easier to understand and operate within.

It was suggested that the renewal date (3.10) should change from the 1st of June to the 1st of September, as the season would have started and members would remember to do it.  KH to arrange that. Agreed.

The proposal to change to yearly subscriptions of £1, instead of a one off joining fee was also discussed again.  Agreed.

The revised constitution was therefore proposed by K Cliff and seconded by K Hind (member observers), to be put to the full EGM for ratification. Agreed. 

5 Code of Conduct

COC applies to both committee members and wider membership and two copies of the revised COC had been circulated before the meeting.

Recent events had highlighted that we needed a more rigorous constitution which included an expectation that comittee members would not do anything which brings WHUISA into disrepute.

There was a question about point 5.10, relating to committee members declaring all potential conflicts of interest. SW clarified that it related to membership of any other WH group. A list of such groups will be produced for agreement.

It was also agreed that the wording of point 2B would be changed to “recognise collective responsibility”.

The revised Code of Conduct was then proposed by Andy Ellis and seconded by Dianne Hind. Agreed Unanimously.

The meeting agreed to swap points 6 and 7 on the agenda to aid smoother debate

7. Motion on Club Engagement with Independent Supporters’ groups. Andy Ellis proposed motion which outlined that only WH and Hull will not communicate with independent supporters groups. However, we wish to be independent of the club in order to represent the real views of the fans.

WHUISA is committed to staying independent and not joining the OSB, as even though they are meant to be “consulted”, it is in name only, as the OSB was not even told about the season ticket price increase, or the Socios, let alone consulted about them.

There was a question from the floor as to how we establish communication with the club and using figures such as Trevor Brooking or Roberta Moore as a conduit was suggested by a member, but we were all clear that it is the club’s Liaison Officer, Jake heath, with whom we need to meet and have open communication. When that is attempted, we are referred to the OSB. We would also not be allowed to take any of our own minutes of any meetings, as the club insist that they control any record of all meetings held.

As we do not own our own ground or manage our own stewarding, Expedia and E20 will also not talk to anyone about legitimate fan questions and we are again referred to the OSB. A key stakeholder is also the Met Police Advisory Group and we have a good rapport with them. The Safety Advisory Group oversees safety at the ground, but their meetings in Newham are very secretive and the only way to even get the minutes is through Freedom of Information requests. That is no way to engage with fans.

WHUISA needs to stress the lack of function at the OSB and wants to be seen to be demanding a credible alternative, based on proper accountability. The club must also adhere to PL rules on fan consultation. We will therefore be joining Hull. HU and the FSA in signing a joint letter, before also contacting MPs, the Dept of Culture, Media and Sport and UEFA.

The key person is David Sullivan and we need to be talking directly to him. Motion proposed by Andy Ellis. Seconded by James Kearns

Agreed Unanimously

Motion on Socios

WHUISA objects, and will challenge the monetisation of supporter engagement.

There was limited debate on this motion, as the room was in agreement with it, both in letter and principle. 

Proposed by Mike Casagrande. Seconded by Eamon Quinn.

Agreed Unanimously

6. Campaign Priorities and Plans

The list discussed at the Cttee meeting, held just before the EGM, on the proposed priorities for the coming year was put to the meeting, namely:

7. £700 for mascot. We discussed a delay in raising this, as WHUISA had previously auctioned one off. However, we can say that it is an issue from the previous committee on which we have reflected and have changed our position.

6. Gold and Sullivan’s loans to the club. We question why, in principle they are loans and not investments. There are also issues with the level of interest raised. Even though Mike Ashley also makes loans to Newcastle, he does so at 0% interest.

5. The £10 charge for a place on the season ticket waiting list. Why the charge? How     long is the waiting list? Why is it not transparent?

4. Football Development. It is reported that the Academy is a shambles and that     those working there do not even have compatible IT equipment. Its record for producing new talent is lamentable and recruitment and retention of youngsters is poor. There are also issues with the role of the Director of Football.

3. Proper fan representation to the club, instead of the OSB, which is toothless and not independent.

 2. Socios. We object to that in principle.

 1. Karren Brady. She was brought in to sort out the migration which has not been effective. The management of the corporates is also very poor. Therefore we question her ability to bring full value to her post. In addition, her Twitter account and Sun newspaper column bring the club into disrepute. The possible purchase of a player failed as a result of an article she did for The Sun.

The committee will want to challenge her role based on her competency, value for money and lack of professionalism at the club. It will not be in any way based on her gender and we will distance ourselves from any of the more overtly sexist criticisms of her whilst making clear what the focus is.

Members also wanted to raise that the FSA also looks at the professionalism of club   CEOs and KB would not pass such a test. Competency questions need to be asked about issues such as: Corporate renewals, commercial income, sponsorship, as well as the reputational damage she causes. Since the move, we have not pushed on as a club, and have gone backwards, but still she stays. WHUISA will be asking why.

It was proposed from the floor that the following issues were added to the list for the  coming year:    the chaotic crowd control to Stratford Station and the general condition and appearance of the ground. The Cttee accepted this unanimously and also that attracting new and active members, through independently representing their views was to be WHUISA’s number one priority.

The amended Action Plan for the coming season was unanimously accepted by the meeting.

The meeting ended at 2.40pm, with 25 members having been in attendance throughout.

WHUISA & SAB MEETING 17/10/2017

WHUISA & SAB MEETING 17/10/2017

WHUISA will be present at the SAB meeting at LS on 17/10/2017. I shall be attending on your behalf. I would be grateful to hear if you have any issues you wish me to raise or comment on.

I politely ask that you respond so that i have as much evidence of your thoughts as possible. WHUISA is the only democratic organisation on the SAB.

Here are a few pointers….please feel free to make your own issues /comments known.

Read More

REPORT ON MET POLICE MEETING 30/08/2017

REPORT ON MET POLICE MEETING 30/08/2017

Meeting with MPS (Met Police) prior to Match V Tottenham Hotspur 30/08/2017 at Lambeth HQ.

In attendance was Seargent Dave Hine along with 3 DFO’s  PC’s Andy Sheldon and Pc Rob Glozier for West Ham and PC Noel Deady for Spurs (MPS Football Unit), Jake Heath (West Ham SLO), David Sadler (Head of Safety & Security LS185), his deputy Graham Harris, Katrina Law (Spurs Supporters Trust), Kevin Fitzgerald (Spurs Supporters Trust), Paul Christmas (WHUISA), Mark Gower (WHUISA) and Bill Edwards (WHUISA).

Discussions lasted just over 2 hours and were conducted openly and frankly.

WHUISA asked a number of questions put forward by our members. The salient points from the meeting are as follows.

Read More

MET POLICE MEETING 30/08/2017

MET POLICE MEETING 30/08/2017

WHUISA have been invited to attend a pre-match meeting at Met Police HQ next Wednesday evening. This follows on from our previous meetings with the police. West Ham invited us also as part of the SAB but we accepted the invite from the Police via the FSF.

We shall be sending 3 reps along including a disability committee member. Also present will be reps from Spurs Supporters Trust, FSF, West Ham (SAB) and British Transport Police.

Read More

WHUISA MEETING MINUTES 14/05/2017.

WHUISA MEETING MINUTES 14/05/2017.

WHUISA MEETING

Held with permission at White Post, Hackney Wick

14/05/2017 at 11.30am 

Attending 4 committee members,12 members and 0 invited speakers. 

INTRODUCTION & UPDATE from Interim Chair. With no objections received Paul accepted the notes from previous meeting held on 8th April 17 as fair and accurate. He went on to explain that: the PayPal account had been transferred to a new bank account and members would be advised at future meetings of balance and expenditure; following the recent SAB meeting it is anticipated that WHUISA will become increasing influential in representing the interests of the fans to the club; association meeting with club is planned for next Wednesday 24th May.

Read More